HOBART VIEW CLUB - (Voice, Interests and Education of Women)
Hobart VIEW Club meets on the second Wednesday (Note change for April) of the month at 6.00pm for a 6.30pm start
at The Black Buffalo Hotel, Letitia Street, North Hobart.
Come along and order your meal from the bar then proceed upstairs for our meeting. Meeting commences at 6.30pm
Meeting Schedule for 2017
Wednesday 8 February: New Office Bearers confirmed. Subs of $15 per year due.
Wednesday 8 March
April NOTE CHANGE OF DATE, TIME AND PLACE!!!!
Sunday 9 April, 2.30pm. Meeting to be held at 13Lochner Street, West Hobart
Wednesday 10 May
Wednesday 14 June
July NOTE CHANGE OF DATE AND VENUE
Sunday 9 July. Lunch meeting commencing at 12 noon at 13 Lochner Street, West Hobart. Please let Meredith know if you're attending either by phone: 0407 552 667 or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday 9 August
Wednesday 13 September
Wednesday 11 October
Wednesday 8 November
Wednesday 13 December
Meeting Schedule for 2016
Wednesday 10 February: New Office Bearers confirmed. Subs of $15 per year due.
13 April: Facilitation meeting with Wendy Spencer
27 April - Wednesday. Fashion Parade at Blue Illusion 6-8pm
11 May: Guest Speaker: Donna Satterthwait - Candles
No meeting this month
Sunday 17 July: Lunch NOTE CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO:
13 Lochner Street, West Hobart
followed by meeting. Please ring Meredith on 0407 552 667 to confirm your attendance.
NOTE CHANGED MEETING DATE!!!
NOTE: Our 5th Birthday celebration is being planned for late September. Keep watching our "Up-coming Events' page for further information.
Note: Keep checking our "Up-coming Events" page for news of our Cocktail Party
Meeting Schedule for 2015
Note that Guest Speakers will be confirmed as they are advised.
18 January Sunday lunch
Wednesday 11 February: Annual renewal due - $15. New Office Bearers will be confirmed.
Wednesday 11 March:
Wednesday 8 April
Wednesday 13 May
Wednesday 10 June
July - PLEASE NOTE A CHANGE OF TIME, DATE AND VENUE
Our July meeting will be held on SUNDAY 19 July at 1.30pm. The venue will be at Christine Howards's house at 1 Zomay Avenue Dynnyrne, and following the short meeting you are invited to a jewellery party to raise funds for The Smith
Family. Friends are invited to attend. There will be a gold coin admission. Please contact Christine Howard on 0408 101 449 if you need further information.
Wednesday 12 August
Wednesday 9 September
Wednesday 14 October
Wednesday 11 November
Wednesday 9 December
Meeting Schedule for 2014
Wednesday 12 February
Guest Speaker: Marta Hodul Lenton, Executive Officer (Tasmania)
RECOGNISE (RECOGNISE is the people’s movement to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in our Constitution.)
Wednesday 12 March. Guest Speaker Elizabeth Thomas - Community Housing project.
Wednesday 9 April. Guest Speaker Laga Van Beek, National Disability Insurance Scheme.
Wednesday 14 May. Guest speaker Nicholas Turner, Publisher of Hobart Observer newspaper and other community newspapers.
Wednesday 11 June. PLEASE NOTE THE EARLIER MEETING TIME:6.00pm for 6.30pm. Guest Speaker is Amy Baily from Conservation Volunteers.
PLEASE NOTE THE EARLIER WINTER MEETING TIME: 6.00PM FOR 6.30PM. Guest speaker is Daniel Murphy about NBNCo.
Please note that the dinner meeting will be replaced by Sunday lunch. Place, date and time to be notified.
Wednesday 10 September
Wednesday 8 October
Wednesday 12 November
Wednesday 9 December
Meeting Schedule for 2013 NOTE NEW DAY
Monday 18 February. AGM. New office-bearers endorsed: President: Chris Standen; Secretary: Yvonne Bottomley; Treasurer: Barb Hayes
Wednesday 13 March
Wednesday 10 April
Wednesday 8 May Guest Speaker: Phyllis Nicholl on recovery from breast cancer
Wednesday 12 June: MEETING CANCELLED
Wednesday 10 July: Guest Speaker is Ms Elizabeth Daly OAM, Interim Children's Commissioner for Tasmania.
Wednesday 14 August
Wednesday 11 September: Our Back 2 School Day.
Amid much laughter and frivolity, tales of school days were shared. Many attendees wore items of school clothing, or brought an old school case, and some even had old school reports!
Who would have thought our President met her future husband in an inter-school debate in which his team successfully argued that Women should Not hold the purse strings? Does anyone else remember boy/girl segregated train carriages? And who could forget the need for strict adherence to hemline regulations on school uniforms being no higher than 4 inches above the knee when kneeling? Of course there were many happy memories like school lunches including steamed chocolate pudding for 20 cents, being the best-behaved pupil in the class; naughty memories like April Fools Day pranks where the pupils hid from the teachers, boys throwing school hats off the tops of trams; and the unfortunate ones such as caning and bullying. All these experiences shaped us in some way into the people we are today.
“Teacher Sally” then conducted a Spelling Bee under strict test conditions. There were, unfortunately, some pupils who could not restrain their tongues, despite admonitions to cover their work and to pay attention. Results will be available at the next meeting.
Wednesday 9 October
Wednesday 13 November
Wednesday 11 December
- Tuesday 14 February 2012 Annual General Meeting
- Monday 19 March 2012
- Guest Speaker: Christine Howard, Civil Celebrant.
- Monday 16 April 2012
- 'Back to School' competition
- Guest Speaker: Yvonne Bottomley, Weaving in Lombok, Indonesia
- Trade Table
- Monday 21 May 2012
- Monday 18 June 2012
Dinner Guest – Cheryl Larcombe
During 2011 and 2012 the Tasmanian Government has created Child and Family Centres throughout Tasmania. These centres focus on children from birth to age 5 and their families.
Cheryl Larcombe is the Principal Project Officer for the establishment of these centres.
She will provide a background to the project and an insight into the way the centres operate in their communities.
- Monday 16 July 2012. TSF staffer, Olga Srvobski will talk about TSF scholarships, how they are administered, and answer your questions about the program.
- Monday 20 August 2012
- Dinner Guest is Hobart City Councillor, Alderman Sue Hickey. Sue will provide a picture of HCC activities and decision-making and as a member of the newly convened Wellington Park Task Force, she will be happy to talk about this too. Sue is happy to answer questions about a range of HCC matters.
- Monday 17 September 2012
- Dinner guest speaker is Lise Plunkett. Lise lives in hobart and developed an interest in her own family history and in particular the stories of two great uncles who died in Western Europe in World War I. Her research led her in 2010 to visit the battlefields of France and Belgium. Her presentation to the VIEW Club will share what she discovered.
- Monday 15 October 2012
- Dinner Guest speaker is Victoria Heywood.
Victoria is a freelance author living in Melbourne. Previously she worked for many years in advertising and journalism in Australia and the UK as a regular contributor to newspapers and magazines such as Elle (UK), The Sunday Times (UK), Daily Mirror (UK), Women's Own (UK), The Moscow Times, The Age, The Australian, Cleo and Good Medicine.
Her books include The Australian Vineyard Restaurant Cookbook(Penguin ; 2009), Possum Pie, Beetroot Beer and Lamingtons (Slattery Media Group; 2011), Hunters and Collectors-Stories of Devotion and Obsession (Penguin; 2007) and International Careers for Australians (Global Exchange; 2003)
Vic has a wide range of interests, loves to travel and is a Board member of the Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority.
- Monday 19 November 2012
- Dinner guest speaker is Frank Newman, Artistic Director of the Terrapin Puppet since 2007. The Terrapin Puppet Theatre was founded in April 1981 by the late Jennifer Davidson and quickly established itself as a highly regarded Tasmanian schools touring company. Terrapin began touring nationally and then internationally during the 1990s. In 1999, Terrapin began developing shows for adult audiences as well as maintaining its focus on shows for children.
In 2012 Terrapin maintains a reputation for innovation in puppetry.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR MEETING SCHEDULED FOR Monday 17 December 2012 HAS BEEN CANCELLED. Instead, we will have a barbeque on the evening of Monday 21 January 2013. Details will be circulated closer to the event. Meanwhile, have a happy and safe Christmas.